Physics/specification required for optical fibre

Question
i m an engineering student pursuing a mechanical engineering.
I m working on a project which is related to transfer of heat(infrared energy) through optical fibre. so what kind of specification an optical fibre required to transmit infrared energy..It would be helpful for us if u can  provide some guidance on this topic.

Answer
Actually, while not an optics guy myself, I worked in a building next to guys who designed and made optical fiber for special clients.  It turns out that optical fiber is fantastically complex, compared to the simple "total internal reflection" example given in most physics textbooks!  It's ridiculously thin, yet to make it a waveguide instead of a simple internal-reflection light pipe it has somewhere between 20-30 layers of material around the core fiber, intended to gently guide the infrared light back along the center with minimal loss.  Yes, I typed "infrared."  It turns out that most commercial fiber optics are designed to transmit along such frequencies, making lasers far cheaper.  At least, this was the case 9 years ago, and I'm not sure they've made radical wavelength shifts since then.  So first you need a fiber that will conduct in the IR band and not absorb it.  Then you need one with a relatively high index of refraction to keep the light inside the fiber.  Beyond that, fiber optic cable is a bit of black magic that's known better to chemists and industry insiders than to nuclear physicists like myself.  But for experimental purposes, you should probably not reinvent the wheel, but rather start with some commercial optical fiber.  You should be able to secure it in quantity and cheaply.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson