Physics/vector calculus

Question
i get confused with the theorems , my teacher is just saying to mug it up.......sir can u plz explain why are they used-  green divergence , stokes theorem, greens theorem??????????

Answer
Theorems are tools to take shortcuts in problem solving.  By identifying general conditions where solutions to suitable vector field problems always apply, the steps involved in the proof can be omitted from a larger proof.  Therefore, for example, if you have circulation in a fluid mechanics problem where Stokes theorem applies, you don't have to go proving the relationship between the integral circulation in the region and the circulation at the boundary.  You can just use Stokes theorem.  Example:  http://www.whoi.edu/fileserver.do?id=9349&pt=2&p=12248  This is just one example, the theorems you mention apply on a case-by-case basis in physics problems.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson