Physics/Bubbles in turbulent flow

Question
Why are bubbles created when water flows at high speeds? Why are these bubbles white in colour?

Answer
"High" is a relative term for speeds of flows.  For most cases you're probably talking about, you're probably looking at bubbles which form due to air being released from the water, air is dissolved in water.  The bubbles would be white because of their size, why would they get a particular color?  At truly high speeds, I can see cavitation bubbles forming due to shocks and even being made of steam.  This is really probably a question better answered by a mechanical or chemical engineer, when you think about it.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson