Physics/Bubbles in turbulent flow

Why are bubbles created when water flows at high speeds? Why are these bubbles white in colour?

"High" is a relative term for speeds of flows.  For most cases you're probably talking about, you're probably looking at bubbles which form due to air being released from the water, air is dissolved in water.  The bubbles would be white because of their size, why would they get a particular color?  At truly high speeds, I can see cavitation bubbles forming due to shocks and even being made of steam.  This is really probably a question better answered by a mechanical or chemical engineer, when you think about it.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.