Physics/electrical charges

Question
what is the charge of the earth??
is it positive or negative, and why?

thank you for  your answer

Answer
Near the surface of the Earth the electric field is directed towards the Earth with an intensity somewhere in the range of 100-150N/C [It varies with location and altitude.]. If we take the average value to be 130N/C and then use Coulomb's Law we can determine the average net charge of the Earth:
E=k*q/R^2
Where R=6.37x10^6m is the radius of the Earth and k=9.0x10^9Nm^2/C^2 is the Coulomb's Law constant.
From this one can determine the average charge of the Earth to be:
q=E*R^2/k=-130*(6.37x10^6)^2/9x10^9=-5.9x10^5C
The charge is negative because the field is directed downward, towards the Earth.

Physics

James J. Kovalcin