Physics/Megaton level lasers

Question
Hi! In some science fiction stories there are laser weapons which can release energy per shot equivalent to megatons of tnt. So wouldn't basically channelling energy equivalent of megatons of tnt in one shot of the laser overheat and melt the components of the laser? And how much energy can a laser usually withstand being channeled through it without melting?

Answer
Your first basic question should be answered with a 'probably' - but we don't have anything remotely like that.  For lasers of any sort, the thing to consider is power per pulse divided by pulse duration.  So there is average power, and then there is max power during the pulse.  While the power during a focused laser pulse can easily be in the megawatts if the pulse is short enough, the total energy in such a pulse is pretty low.   

Your second question is not appropriate as melting is not how lasers fail, at least when too much power is applied.  You don't melt your laser -  other things start to be a problem well before that.  Specifically, most laser materials (gas, dyes, crystals) have a max power density.  Once you get to that, the laser starts to 'leak' light. While some heat build up can happen if your system is not put together well, this is not usually a problem.

Here are three state of the art high powered laser systems for you to check out if you have an interest in seeing what we can currently accomplish.

Record Breaking Pulsed Laser
http://cuos.engin.umich.edu/researchgroups/hfs/facilities/hercules-petawatt-lase
Most Powerful Uranium Enrichment Laser
https://lasers.llnl.gov/science/icf
Best field tested laser weapon to date
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/how-the-army-s-recent-successful-laser-test

I hope this helps!

Physics

Dr. Jeffery Raymond