Physics/Regarding well in desert

In Mecca, there is a well called "ZamZam" (  which supposedly provide water for millions of pilgrims. How it is possible for a well in a desert produce so much water? Is there any such wells in the world? Also is the medicinal property in the ZamZam water scientifically proved? Many pilgrims claim that the zamzam water does not get spoiled for very long time unlike other waters? How much scientific is the claim?

I can' t really say anything about the special health issues regarding the medicinal properties of the water, although I would be VERY skeptical about such claims in the absence of controlled experiments. As for the waters existence at all, such aquifers were filled with water from the last ice age and qualify as a non-renewable resource that is being "mined" and will most likely not be recharged in any time frame relevant to those currently alive. The US has its own non-renewable aquifers - also being drained much more quickly than they can recharge.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.