Physics/Shielding effect on nuclear charge

Question
Why is the shielding effect of orbitals in the order s>p>d>f? i.e. why are s orbitals most effective and p orbitals least effective for shielding or screening nuclear charge?

Answer
Dear Sriram:

The key here is the shape of the orbital (http://www.d.umn.edu/~pkiprof/ChemWebV2/AOs/)
and to a degree how closs the orbital is to the nucleus.

S orbitals are spherical and shield equally well in all directions, pretty much at full strength.  They are also (all other things being equal) closer to the nucleus.

P orbitals are split into two lobes that only block one axis, so they cannot shield in all directions at once.  They also tend to be further out in space than the s orbitals, making it more likely that a charge can 'feel' the nucleus from more directions and greater distances.

D orbitals are split into four lobes (mostly) and only protect along a given plane - they also tend to stick out even further than s and p orbitals.  This makes them even worse at shielding than p orbitals.

F orbitals stick out the most and have lots of lobes, making them the worst at shielding out of all of the orbitals.

I hope this helps!

Physics

Dr. Jeffery Raymond