Physics/sub-atomic particles

Question

If the mass of the atom matches with the sum of mass of all the sub-atomic particles that have been discovered till now, does that mean we have completely identified all the sub-atomic particles that has mass.

Regards.

Answer
First, the mass of an atom does not equal the mass of all subatomic particles that have been discovered until now.  It is equal to the masses of all the particles which make it up, minus a correction for the binding energy of the atom (E=mc^2).  So that statement is wrong to start with.  Also, we know there's mass in the universe which exerts gravity, but which we have never observed.  We know there are things out there which are yet to be directly observed, or galaxies would rotate slower (for just one thing).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson