Physics/Velocity vs. Energy

Question
Hello! For my physics class, we have been assigned to answer the question of "What is the relationship between an object's velocity and its energy?". We must design our own lab, and we may use materials such as meter sticks, rubber bands, springs, force probs, LoggerPro, motion detectors, stopwatches, tracks, toy cars and photogates. I'm confused about how to begin this. I'm pretty sure that first we must graph the force vs. the displacement, then calculate the energy, and then from that point, graph the energy vs. the velocity. I just don't know how to get from that 1st step to the last step. I am also not positive on how to find the formula for energy. I know that the formula for the area of a triangle ((1/2)bh) ; however, my teacher said that there is even more to it. If you wouldn't mind explaining some of this, it would be great! Thank you!

Answer
It sounds like you don't need me, you need to google search some terms like "conservation of energy lab" and get some results like this: http://phys.columbia.edu/~preceptor/1494Manual_SP12.pdf
That has some examples for using a position sensor and such.  If you have force probes, that's great, too.  

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson