Physics/Automobiles Detecting Electronic Traffic Signboards

Question
Traffic Signs
Traffic Signs  
Dear Dr Jeffery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_sign‎

Is it possible to convert the existing Traffic signs into electronic traffic signs so that Automobiles viz cars, trucks, buses, jeeps can play the Traffic sign within their built in internal speaker at a distance ?.

For example :

The transmitter / sensor in Electronic Traffic sign boards will pass the Radio frequency signals and this will be detected by the automobile receiver electronics at a distance. The receiver sensor within the automobile will pay the respective sound files example  : "Zebra crossing ahead", "Go Slow, School Ahead", "Drive slow, Dangerous curve ahead" etc

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes and yes. There are no technical hurdles to this.

This sort of technology has been around for a long time (we could certainly have had it in the 90s) but there is a lack of public will for such things.  Also, in the US at least, there is a strong resistance to having specific instructions given by the car to the drivers and the cost of installing the radio signalers onto signs is something that tax payers don't want to pay.

But from a technical stand point, this is very doable.

Physics

Dr. Jeffery Raymond