Physics/E=nhf

Question
My textbook says that the "n" in planck's equation represents a quantum number. Ok, this part I understand , but what I don't really understand is that what does n really represents! I searched on the net and multiple websites have said that n is the number of photons, two my teachers however argue and claim that n is the the orbit number related to Bohr's theory. I'm really confused and in a dilemma right now! Please help!!

Answer
The equation you are giving(E=nhf) is an equation you use to determine the total energy for a group of photons that have the same frequency.

So, for one photon E= hf (sometimes written as E= hv). For a bunch of photons at the same frequency, the total energy is then E= n*hf (n being the total number of photons).

The n your teachers are talking about is a different variable.  It is related to the quantum number of an orbital in an atom.  Not the same thing at all.  This is a confusing convention and I run into it all the time with my own students, so don't feel bad.

Often, because photons tend to travel in pretty large groups, the equation that is used is actually this one (which used moles):  E = n * Na * h * f

In this equation n means the number of moles, and Na is Avogadros number.  So, yeah... its a bit of a pain in the ass to keep them straight.  However, if you just keep in mind the context in which the equation is being used, it can be manageable.

Take care!  

Physics

Dr. Jeffery Raymond