Physics/How long does it take to create a microgram of antimatter?

Question
How long would it take for the LHC to produce a microgram of anti matter?

Answer
That's a very complicated question, but at CERN (the institute which runs the LHC), they came up with a good answer to that here: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/spotlight/spotlightaandd-en.html  It describes how much time it would take to create enough hydrogen to fill a toy balloon.  You have to make the assumption of the volume of that balloon, but basically you can say that the absolute pressure inside is very close to atmospheric (again, absolute terms) and about 0.01 mL of hydrogen gas (close to 1 microgram) would require somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of years to create by their own estimates.  Yes, a very long time indeed.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson