Note: please give clear answer and clear work so I may understand
2)How much work does the electric field do in moving a proton from a point with a potential of +90 V to a point where it is -46 V? Express your answer both in joules and electron volts.

As in the previous question, work done is equal to the product of the charge and the change in electric potential:
In this case the change in electric potential dV is -46V - 90V = -135V
Therefore, the work done by the electric field in this case will be:
W=-135V * 1.6 x 10^(-19)C = -2.16 x 10^(-17)J
Therefore the energy lost by the electric field will be 2.16 x 10^(-17)J while the proton gains 2.16 x 10^(-17)J of energy.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.