Physics/Regarding Sun and earth's distance

Question

I read that even Sun, earth and all planets are constantly moving towards the galactic centre. If it is so, how does the distance between Sun and earth remain constant? Please explain.

Regards

Answer
I do not know if your premise regarding the galaxy is true or not. In any case the distance between the Earth and the sun is NOT constant, it varies by a couple of million miles each year. In addition, gravitational forces acting on the Earth's oceans via tides is gradually removing energy for the Earth and as a result it is VERY slowly moving closer to the sun over time - billions of years! This same effect is also gradually making the day longer as well.

Physics

James J. Kovalcin