Physics/survey meter

Question
At work, we use a Fluke 451-RYR survey meter to check for radiation after performing high dose rate brachytherapy with Iridium 192.  While checking the source, the survey meter was left on in the actual treatment room (thereby receiving dose from the Iridium).  Does that damage the survey meter? I'm not sure how it works.  Just wondering if that interferes with it's calibration or....anything of that nature.

Answer
You checked the source with it, and just left it in the room?  I googled it, seems like a standard survey meter, meaning a geiger tube based on the energy thresholds I saw listed.  That should not damage the survey meter, even if you left it on and left it close to the actual treatment area.  It would take a massive dose and Fluke makes instruments which are plenty well-controlled against current and voltage surges.  If it works at all, its calibration should (you should check it) still be good.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson