Physics/Distance & Horizon

Question
Hi Steve,

This is something of an odd question; If a person were standing in a hallway (which was actually a circle, meaning if you kept walking in one direction, you would reach your starting point over and over), and assuming the person's height is 6 feet, what diameter would the looped hallway have to be so that wherever said 6 foot person stood within it, the hallway would appear to travel in a straight line in either direction?

Hopefully my description made sense, lol

Thank you very much for your time  =)

Mick

Answer
It's not so simple.  Not nearly.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_eye  According to this, the human eye is accurate to 1.2m/km of angular resolution.  That's the limit if you want a hallway to bend left or right.  Are you talking about a hall that bends left-right, or one that goes around a small asteroid in a circle?  Or something in space, that goes around in a space station?  I mean, there are a lot of factors.  I bet a magician could fit one inside a few city blocks with the right lighting and paint.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson