Physics/Distance & Horizon

Hi Steve,

This is something of an odd question; If a person were standing in a hallway (which was actually a circle, meaning if you kept walking in one direction, you would reach your starting point over and over), and assuming the person's height is 6 feet, what diameter would the looped hallway have to be so that wherever said 6 foot person stood within it, the hallway would appear to travel in a straight line in either direction?

Hopefully my description made sense, lol

Thank you very much for your time  =)

It's not so simple.  Not nearly.  According to this, the human eye is accurate to 1.2m/km of angular resolution.  That's the limit if you want a hallway to bend left or right.  Are you talking about a hall that bends left-right, or one that goes around a small asteroid in a circle?  Or something in space, that goes around in a space station?  I mean, there are a lot of factors.  I bet a magician could fit one inside a few city blocks with the right lighting and paint.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.