Physics/Flute Musical Instrument Construction Modification.

Question
Dear Prof Steve

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flute

Can the Flute Musical Instrument Modified in Construction produce sound if you hold the flute from both sides ?.
i.e. if Symmetrical Geometrical flute is constructed on both the sides then it can produce sound ?.

i.e. Currently if you hold the flute in one side, it can produce sound, but if you hold the flute from the other side, it will not produce sound.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant,

I can't see any reason why it would not. I will assume we are talking about a side blown or transverse flute. All it would require is reproducing the airflow over the hole in the mouthpiece that is achieved with the traditional transverse flute. I do not remember details of the design of the mouthpiece. In the page that your link brings up, click the transverse link in the 2nd paragraph of the Chategories section. The image shown on that page does not show the far side of the mouthpiece wee enough to know if the lower lip would fit when the flute is held backwards. But surely an adjustment in the shape would allow that. And sound would be the result.

I do not know if any adjustment of the keys would be required, but you are just asking if sound would result.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson