Physics/gravity - followup

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answers.

>>There's not much less gravity on the space station than on Earth, you just don't feel it because you're in orbit.  

I read that the value of g is less in moon and it is 1/6th that of earth and so should it be in space station. I don't understand how you state that there is not less gravity on the space station on Earth.

You REALLY need to take a physics class.  The value of the gravitation of the Moon is less because it has less mass than the Earth.  Mass determines the value of gravitation.  The local mass of the Earth is ultimately important, since the space station orbits less than 200 km above the Earth's surface, and the radius of the Earth is over 6000 km.  Do the math, don't "feel" your way.  The Earth still has massive gravitation, even at the 384,000km orbit of the Moon, otherwise the Moon would not orbit.  It would fly off in space.  The 1/6th value you're quoted is the Moon's local gravitational field.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.