Physics/Mega Explosions

Question
Hi, Do all types of mega explosions equal to or greater than a nuclear bomb create EMPs or do only Nuclear explosions as a result of the nuclear reaction? Examples I am curios about are meteor impacts such as the Tunguska event, the dinosaur killer impact, super volcano explosions, and so on.
Thanks

Answer
Not quite the same.  Nuclear weapons create high-energy ionizing radiation in a very, very short amount of time.  The short time span, coupled with the ionizing radiation (which makes very conductive plasma out o the air) mean that nuclear weapons make disproportionately large EMPs relative to their actual energies.  That said, the other phenomena you mentioned can be ridiculously large, even compared to a nuclear weapon.  Meteors are known to have EMP effects, which depend on their size and velocity.  Same for volcanic eruptions, that dark-looking cloud is actually full of lightning.  The effect is powerful, but localized due to the slow nature of a volcanic eruption.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson