Physics/The motion of hydraulic cylinders

Is there any difference between the motion of a hydraulic cylinder being shaken back and forth, and a hydraulic cylinder being shaken back and forth while the cylinder is extended outword at the same time.

Hydraulic cylinders are generally very powerful.  You would have to shake it very hard to notice at all.  The shaking will create pressure fluctuations in the fluid inside, so I suppose how much of an effect this has depends vastly on the design of your fluid pump and how robust it is.  It will also depend on the mass of the piston.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.