Physics/Spring

Question
Diagram
Diagram  
QUESTION: In the attached figure:

In (a), the spring is in rest.
In (b), a mass 'm' is hung from it and as a result it elongates 'e' amount and stays in equilibrium.
In (c), the 'm' mass is pulled downwards by 'x' distance and then let go. The mass will then execute simple harmonic motion with 'x' amplitude. But, my confusion is here:

In the book, it is written that "For the motion of the mass to be simple harmonic, the amplitude 'x' must be less than the elongation at equilibrium 'e', i.e. x<e"

I can't understand why this should be done. Can you help?

ANSWER: Otherwise, you end up in compression.  Most lab springs are not designed to be compressed.

QUESTION: I don't understand. Does this mean the spring will be deformed?

Answer
No, it means that you'll go past spring equilibrium (unstretched) during the oscillation.  Most springs which are used in physics labs are special and tapered to approximate Hook's "Law" of springs and behave in a non-linear ways when you try and compress them...in fact, the most common type I know naturally has its coils resting against one another.  If you bang the coils together, the experiment won't work, will it?

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson