Physics/Ferrofluids

Question
Are ferrofluids magnetic also when heated to really hot temperatures? Like could we make a gun that magnetically propels ferrofluid that is let's say 1200 degrees of celcius in temperature?

Answer
No, that's how they work to cool high-powered speaker systems.  You pass the curie temperature and the metal nanoparticles lose their magnetization.  In high-powered speakers, this is used to make sure that cold magnetic fluid is drawn to the speaker magnets, which run hot.  1200 C would probably destroy any known ferrofluid, that's crazy-hot, like glassmaking hot.  Nuclear power plants only put out (normal ones) 450 C steam.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson