Physics/holographic universe

I read that recently some physicists are considering universe as a 3D hologram of a 2D flat universe. Why are the scientists proposing such theories when we observe universe which we can see, feel 3D objects while we cant feel, touch hologram. Please explain.

This is not actually terribly recent work.  Physicists, in general, try to come up with the simplest description for nature and how it works.  Hence, the ability to describe the third dimension as encoded on a 2D environment has a certain appeal.  Currently, these theories remain without a shred of experimental proof and they don't make too much fundamental difference in our daily lives if the two descriptions of the universe result in such closely-matching reality that we can't even tell the difference.  As long as there are theorists, they will dream up different possible ways to represent the physical universe.  It is up to experimental physicists like myself to devise experiments demonstrating the differences in their models and telling the ones which make accurate testable prediction from those which make false predictions.  In the meantime, you might want to pay more attention to theoretical frameworks which are testable if you find a holographic 2D universe unsatisfying or superfluous.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.