Physics/Physics-gravitational potential

Question
why gravitational potential is negative?it is a term which shows the value of work to take an object in a gravitational field.here the displacement is towards the gravitational force.so,work should be positive.but,it is negative.please explain why....

Answer
Hello Shah,

If the work done to an object increases its mechanical energy (kinetic and/or potential energy), the work is considered positive. Positive energy is added to the object's energy.

But if you take a book down from a high shelf and put it on a lower shelf, that decreased the book's gravitational potential energy. In supporting the book's weight as you moved it, you exerted upward force equal to its weight while moving it down. The work formula says you did negative work:
Work = force*displacement*cos180 = -weight*displacement

I hope I understand your question well enough that this is on target.
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson