Physics/Quantum entanglement communication

Hi! I read that quantum entanglement communication is impossible because if you sent a message it would be a scrambled sequence of numbers in the source and in the destination and that you'd need information on both of these scrambled sequences to understand the message. So could you as simply as possible tell me why there would be two scrambled sequences and why there would be a need for both sequences? Because the site I read the reason had it so complicated and full of words I don't even know that it went way over my head.  :(

Quantum entanglement is used for secure communications all the time, I don't know what you read somewhere.  Two photons are entangled in one location (their polarization states are linked, which means that their electric field directions are linked).  The details "behind" the process (which is actually a poor choice of words since experiments seem to show there are no hidden or missing variables in quantum mechanics) are slightly mysterious, but the how-to is well known.  The sequences are not "scrambled," as you put it.  The thing these shared photons do is exchange keys to decryption of encrypted (secure) messages.  Then faster regular data networks take over for the exchange of actual bulk data which is "scrambled" by numerical encryption.  The keys are used to decode the messages, so no one jacks your password.  If anyone snoops on the process of exchanging keys, it screws up the delicate quantum entanglement that was used to exchange the keys themselves. That alerts the exchangers of keys that they're being snooped upon.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.