Physics/Table Fan Design.

Dear Prof Steve

Is it possible to re engineer Table Fan design where the Table Fan can rotate in all directions i.e. 360 degree rotation ?.

If we have a Mirror Blades on the Opposite side, maybe it is possible ?. We will require one more electric motor for this construction ?. i.e. Two motors.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

Certainly it could be done with 2 motors. But it could also be done with a more complex system of gears. It would probably be cheaper to buy 2 fans. And if you do a search for [360 degree fan] you will find that Honeywell (and others) already has one that blows upward and then uses a deflector to produce the affect.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University