Physics/tremors

Question

If an earthquake occurs in a region, why the tremors is felt in a little far away regions while there are no tremors felt in between the two regions. One would expect that  the ripples created by the earthquake should travel in all directions but this apparently does not seem to happen. What is the scientific explanation for this?

Answer
I'm not a seismologist, but I do understand that earthquakes have some direction dependence to the energy of their waves. This depends on how the meeting tectonic plates shift and the intervening rock between the epicenter of the quake and the place observed at the surface. Interaction between the sea bed and the ocean (how much displacement, and it's direction) determine tsunami formation, too.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson