Physics/Empty space of atoms

Question
If atoms are mostly empty space what keeps me from falling through them to the center of the Earth? What keeps my particles from not just going through the empty space of atoms on my floor?

Answer
Atoms are not really mostly empty space.  I'm not sure why you hear that a lot, but I remember hearing it from some time in middle school.  Most of an atom's space is filled with electron wavefunction.  When you press atoms together, they polarize and repel.  The everyday forces you're familiar with are (with the exception of gravitation) electromagnetic in nature.  That's what keeps you from falling through the Earth.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson