Physics/Hi, I have question....

I am wondering , I hit ball and speed of ball was 55 miles per hour, if I hit ball again with same speed but more weight , does ball speed will change ? (Like: 100 miles per hour )

Thank you.

Hello Jack,

If you hit the ball, that implies that you exerted a force on it for some period of time. So the velocity must change. The velocity change could be an increase, a decrease, and/or a change in direction; depending on the direction of the force. If the force is in the direction of the original velocity, it could increase the speed from 55 mph to 100 mph, depending on the magnitude of the force and the amount of time that force is exerted.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University