Physics/Nuclear Physics

Question
Hey I am 15 and I have been wanting to build a small particle accelerator. I have seen it is possible to build one at home and safely but I wanted you advice on the matter of cost and precautions.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Davis Latimer

Answer
It's waaaay beyond the scope of some internet forum.  I'm curious to know where you saw that it was possible to build at home.  It's technically possible, see the example of this tiny cyclotron at Rutgers.  http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/cyclotron/  Just start pricing components like the RF system and magnet and power supply alone...it's expensive.  If you have tens of thousands of dollars it's technically possible.  You need a vacuum system, high voltage supplies (many), and control systems at the very least.  The thing is, doing it on a budget of just tens of thousands of dollars is really tricky, so you also need an actual nuclear physicist with experience building tiny accelerators to help you.  Someone who really has a lot of time on their hands, hopefully.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson