Physics/Nuclear propellant

Question
Would it be possible to make a propellant for a kinetic energy penetrator made of a nuclear explosive? Something like a 1-10 ton nuclear explosion driving the kinetic energy penetrator forward in the tube to incredible velocities. And could it achieve greater velocities than with gunpowder?

Answer
It's possible, but extremely tricky.  You're better off going with orbital tungsten penetrators or something like that, probably, if you were looking to hit something from above.  For like a cannon-type weapon it's completely impractical since a single shot would ruin the gun with radioactive contamination (the neutron flux would turn tons of the gun into radioactive cobalt 60 if you used any reasonable steel to make it).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson