What are the correct terms for the first three dimensions:
Line or length? I have seen both terms mentioned, but only line makes sense, as you can put it on any plane.
IS the second D correctly called surface or plane or width?
is the third correctly called Sphere, cube or volume?
Can a  curve only exist in the next dimension up? i.e, a curved line has to be in the second dimension as it needs to sets of coordinates.  a curved plane needs volume.
What would a curved volume be? Spherical geometry? Does it require time as a dimension?

Finally, is there any mechanism that would cause one dimension t begin unfolding into another

A line is a geometric object.  Length is a quantity.  A surface is another geometric object, so is a plane.  Width is a quantity (a linear quantity).  Spheres and cubes are again geometric objects, and volume is a quantity that geometric objects like spheres and cubes enclose.  Yes, curvature can only exist with a higher dimension, there is no perception of curvature in a single dimension or within the number of dimensions of confinement...withing that (say on the surface of a sphere, which would be 2D), only distance matters.  "Curved volume" is kind of not specific, but yes it requires a fourth dimension.

The last question makes no sense to me, sorry.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.