Physics/Recommendation of Compressed Gas

Question
Hi Steve, I am currently at the research stage of a design project concerning the personal safety of divers during marine exploration. I have been working towards a concept involving the underwater decompression of gas to create a harmless deterrent against marine wildlife. Unfortunately I have a limited knowledge of the stability of compressed gases, and was wondering if you could recommend a gas that, when decompressed from a vessel underwater, could be capable of producing the desired 'harmless explosion of bubbles', or indeed suggest any other processes or chemical elements that you feel could best replicate this effect?
Thank you, and best regards, Nick

Answer
I'm not sure what you want by an "explosion" of gases.  Compressed gas underwater is pretty much compressed gas underwater.  If you had some that could go into a liquid state at very high pressure then you could keep it at a much smaller volume.  If you could incorporate a very tiny amount (not toxic to the water, just enough to smell very bad) it might far more seriously help deter the underwater creatures (presumably sharks) that you want to deter.  It seems the problem you're looking at is getting the bubbles to the location you want them to be.  So either you would have to shoot a canister of gas to the desired location, have some sort of "diver drone" type remote delivery system, or a long pole (easiest) with a release nozzle on the end.  The particular gas is relatively unimportant.  CO2 could be used at diving depths because it can be compressed into a liquid in a much smaller tank but at those shallow depths it will expand into a gas (unlike the deep ocean miles down, where it will remain a liquid).  For convenience and cost, CO2 is probably your best bet.  The expansion won't be as explosive as super-compressed helium or argon (argon is far cheaper).  I'd say argon with a very tiny some very smelly sulfur or fluorine compound would be ideal.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson