Physics/Balsa core rotting

1    Is it possible during a Marine Survey to detect a wet balsa core where the balsa has not yet rotted by audible techniques?

2    How long will it take after being water saturated will the balsa core rot?

3    Please recommend references on this subject.

This question has some problems:

1)  How big of a core?  Is it weighted down?  Is it floating?  I mean, there's just no information on the geometry.

2)  How big?  What water temperature?  Frankly, rotting is more of a biology question.  It has nothing to do with physics.

3)  There really are no references on this subject.  You should ask a ship expert, perhaps, not a physicist. might help you.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.