Physics/ATM Accepting Coins Currency ?.

Dear Prof Steve

Assuming that $1, $5,  $10, $50, $100, $500 etc are manufactured as coins then can an ATM Machine accept (input) and output to the Customer who wants to withdraw money in the forms of coins ?.

Here the challenging aspect would be segregation of coins value kept in the ATM Machine ?. i.e. $1, $5,  $10, $50, $100, $500 etc in coins similar to paper notes currency.

There could be two drawers within ATM machine one each for paper currency notes and one for coins ?.

If a customer wants to withdraw money from ATM Machine, Then there could be output of notes and coins both, only notes, only coins.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

Well yes, what you suggest could be done. But I question the practicality. I have never used an ATM that could give cash in other than bills of 1 denomination. Storage of cash of multiple denominations (and hardware for dispensing) would increase the required size of the machine. And to add coin storage and handling would, I think, increase the size beyond what would be available in many of the locations that now have ATMs.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University