Physics/Energy efficiency of different energy sources

Question
Hi! I was reading up on the energy efficiencies of different energy sources. The highest was fusion with 0,7% of the mass turning into energy and fission following up with 0,1% as the second. So if even the most efficient energy production methods are less than 1% efficient, how efficient for instance are:
a) Gasoline
b) Coal
c) Gas?

Answer
This question is easier for you to answer by comparison.  Energy density listed for uranium (I checked, it's legitimate) is 80,620,000 MJ/kg.  Gasoline is listed as 46 MJ/kg, so a far lower percentage indeed.  Gas is about the same, coal is about half that (depends on the grade).  So if you want some percentage in terms of mass conversion to energy (which doesn't make much sense, given how low it would be, and you're considering fission to be 0.1%, then you can use these numbers to convert (multiplying by the energy density and dividing by uranium for your standard).  I'd tell you to just use E=mc^2, but people usually convert the units wrong.  For reference, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson