QUESTION: Someone once told me they made holograms which by the image changes based on the viewer's physical distance from it. Is this true, and if so what are they called?

ANSWER: I think this in-depth article is what you're talking about, since it's a recent piece of of research.  I'm not familiar with what you mean, otherwise...

QUESTION: I'm not sure. I know most holograms show you roughly how something looks from different angles based on the angle it is looked at from but don't differ based on relative distance.

Yes, they do.  Aside from the size of the image, there's no difference between that and a photograph as to how far away you're looking at it from, unless that distance changes the angle you're viewing it from.  So unless it's about the article I pointed you to, there should be no such thing as a hologram that changes its appearance based on distance.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.