Physics/relating to a van da graff experiment

Question
thank you,
so if a 600kV, 60ľA VDG is leaking less then ~60ľA than it would still be 600kV, correct?
but if it is leaking more than the ~60ľA would it decrease the voltage suddenly when the ~60ľA leakage is reached OR would there be a gradual decrease in voltage correlated to the amperage leaked OR is it that the leakage is already around 60ľA to start of with and that is what is preventing the VDG charging over the 600kV and therefore any more leakage will already result in a lower voltage?
THANK YOU,
Gene

Answer
It would approach 60 microamps, not reduce to it.  The leakage depends on the voltage, the cleanliness of the insulators, the humidity...but most strongly upon the voltage.  So if your charging chain/band/pelletron can't support the discharge, it will come to equilibrium between charging and discharging, no matter which way you charge it.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson