Physics/air velocity

100 p.s.i. charge in a 1700 gallon air tank
12 inch pneumatic buterfly valve
reducing chamber from 12 inches to 10 inches
40 foot long barrel that it 10 inches in diameter
question: at what speed will the air accelerate to by the time it reaches the end of the barrel?

Well, if this is an air cannon, then thy answer is radically different. However, based on the dimensions you've given and pipe flow dynamics, you're going to be severely limited by sonic shock waves for such a system to the speed of sound. If you want a more detailed answer, you'll need an engineer with cannon experience, but discharging this into the air should give you an answer very close to the speed of sound.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.