Physics/Laser Amplified by Fan

Question
I was told by a friend that shining a laser through a fan would make it visible from further away. If there is any truth to this could you explain what is happening? Thank you.

Trey

Answer
Well...yes and no.  It's easier for organisms to tell changes in things than absolute measures, like brightness.  Something flashing would be far more noticeable above background than a constant signal, due to the nature of the nervous system of whoever was seeing it.  If you knew where to look, the constant signal would be technically easier to see.  If you didn't know, the laser in the fan is probably way easier to spot...especially if the laser is kind of near the threshold of seeing.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson