Physics/no matter

Question
hello, thank you.
in your last reply to my misphrazed question you said: "Mass is a property of matter.." but what i am asking is, is it possible that matter is a property of mass? or matter is a state of mass?
that is, mass with certain properties is what we call matter.
like ice is a state of water (the mass being the water, the matter being the ice).
that is, they are just the same thing with in different states making them appear as completely different things.
thank you,
Gene

Answer
These are all ultimately human definitions.  The analogy to water has no meaning at all.  Mass is a property, "matter" is just what we call particles with mass.  Massless particles (photons) may exist, but we call them energy.  Terminology has no physical meaning of any kind.  There are particles that are exchanged in quanta (absorbed or emitted as whole units), which is where we get our concept of particles.  There's energy and mass, with an equivalence relationship E=mc^2.  You appear to be trying to extract something deeper out of two words that have no consequence in actual physics.  Set aside the words and focus on the concepts.  Matter is things made of particles, mass is a property of some types of particles.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson