Physics/An odd observation related to series connection

Question
"Dear Sir,

Good morning. Last night I had my birthday party. My father along with other men arranged for the party celebration where we had a grand feast. As we arranged for the lights I found that two of the bulbs were connected in series but they didn't glow together. If either was removed the other glowed. What is responsible for this odd observation?

I would wait for answer,
AB."

Answer
Well, if they were truly connected in series properly, that's impossible.  Electrical current does not flow through open circuits.  More information might help, such as what kind of bulbs they were.  IF they were, in fact, connected in parallel then it's possible that there was only enough current available to operate one bulb at a time.  Further information about the wiring is required to answer your question, the circumstances about parties are irrelevant.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson