Physics/Black Hole Experiment

Question
Dr. Nelson, I set up the black hole collision fish tank experiment as per your instructions, however, one problem arose, the pumps are not strong enough to create an attraction between the two intake tubes. It would appear that 3.5 gallons per hour, even in a 5.5 gallon tank is not sufficient to create a collision or even orbiting of the two intake tubes. I am now trying to find stronger pumps and was wondering if you might be able to suggest anything else that could be the cause of the failure of the intake tubes to attract each other.
Thanks,
Ankur

Answer
Hmmm...too slow?  You could try putting the tank up high and do one-shot experiments where you use a long siphon to drag the water out faster...feeding in from the top from a reserve tank, if necessary.  Otherwise, it does appear you need a bigger pump.  Perhaps a "swamp cooler" pump (in a home improvement store, they drive evaporation-based air conditioners for houses) or similar pump, or even something like this: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Submersible-Sump-Pump-Tether/dp/B00Q2X4ZIC/ref=sr_1_9?s

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson