Physics/Final word.

I don't understand,

To end the ridiculous debate of whether or not the earth is spinning, why don't they just shoot bullets east and west.  Bullets hit targets higher shooting east and lower shooting west, right ?

In the northern hemisphere, this is true.  On the equator, it is not.  In the southern hemisphere, it is the opposite.  However, you are correct that the coriolis effect would affect (VERY slightly) the altitude of the bullet.  I don't think there's really a debate about whether or not the Earth is spinning, if there is such a debate, please direct them to me.  :)

I originally misread this as a "north vs south" shooting question.  Later follow-ups clarified, just wanting anyone reading through the archives to not trip up on my mistake.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.