Physics/Final word.

Question
I don't understand,

To end the ridiculous debate of whether or not the earth is spinning, why don't they just shoot bullets east and west.  Bullets hit targets higher shooting east and lower shooting west, right ?

Answer
In the northern hemisphere, this is true.  On the equator, it is not.  In the southern hemisphere, it is the opposite.  However, you are correct that the coriolis effect would affect (VERY slightly) the altitude of the bullet.  I don't think there's really a debate about whether or not the Earth is spinning, if there is such a debate, please direct them to me.  :)

--correction--
I originally misread this as a "north vs south" shooting question.  Later follow-ups clarified, just wanting anyone reading through the archives to not trip up on my mistake.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson