Physics/Color and absorption

Black absorbs light and white reflects it.

What color is a mirror?

Technically, a mirror is white.  White reflects all the colors, but reflects it in random directions.  The smoothness of a mirror gives it all the same properties as white, but with the added property of specular reflection (light goes out at the same angle as it goes in).  If you put a white ball in a beam of just red light, it would look red, even though the ball was white (because it would only have red light to reflect).

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.