Physics/a cooling process

Question
Early Porsche 911 cars and also Corvair cars both had a belt driven fan that forced cooling air over the cylinder heads and cylinders to cool the engine while it was in operation. They had engines that were "air cooled"

my question is a simple one. Is this forced air cooling process a conductive one or a convective one? I have a buddy who differs with me on the type process this is.

Thanks you for your help

Bbob Helt

Answer
As so often is the case in a disagreement, you're both partly right.  Both processes are in play.  The conductive process transfers heat through the cylinder walls and heads.  Convection is the air taking that heat away.  It's a two-step process.  The whole thing would fail if one or the other didn't work.  And while convection does have some of the properties of conduction, the moving fluid flow do make it markedly different.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson