Physics/a cooling process

Early Porsche 911 cars and also Corvair cars both had a belt driven fan that forced cooling air over the cylinder heads and cylinders to cool the engine while it was in operation. They had engines that were "air cooled"

my question is a simple one. Is this forced air cooling process a conductive one or a convective one? I have a buddy who differs with me on the type process this is.

Thanks you for your help

Bbob Helt

As so often is the case in a disagreement, you're both partly right.  Both processes are in play.  The conductive process transfers heat through the cylinder walls and heads.  Convection is the air taking that heat away.  It's a two-step process.  The whole thing would fail if one or the other didn't work.  And while convection does have some of the properties of conduction, the moving fluid flow do make it markedly different.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.