Physics/Double slit experiment

Question
I'm writing in reference to the double slit experiment which has been used to show the wave like behavior of particles and atoms. The air we breathe is made up of gases which are atoms floating around. Suppose I were to (hypothetically), blow into double slits. (Their dimensions and spacings being typical of any double slit experiments on the order of a few nanometers) As I blow the air (gases), the atoms of those gases will go through the slits. Are the atoms of those gases interfering with one another? Or does it only work with atoms in a particular setup?

Answer
The mean free path of atoms in the atmosphere is nanoscopic, so this situation doesn't really apply.  You're right that the atoms are interfering with one another in this case.  The experiment is for a vacuum, where you just have the slits and the particles interacting.  The experimental situation you're proposing is vastly more complex.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson