Physics/physics - light

Question
At night it is difficult to see through a closed glass window from a well lighted room, but it is relatively easy when lights are switched off. why?

Answer
This has more to do with your eyes than anything else.  The brightness in the room is partially reflected off of the glass, and is quite high when compared to the outside.  Therefore your pupils contract and your retinas are generally overwhelmed by the stronger light signal inside the room and reflecting off of the glass.  The light from outside is still coming in, it's just that between your contracted pupils (meaning not as much gets through to your retina) and the overwhelming amount of light from inside, you can't perceive it.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson