Physics/Rainbows

Question
Dear Dr. Stephen O. Nelson,
I am a Year 5 student doing a project as part of Genius Hour which is time set back every week to do a project that you are passionate about. The topic i chose was Colours and so i would like to find out whether it is possible for us to see a rainbow with different colours from the usual colours we see in a rainbow.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Answer
As far as just using your eyes, you see a continuous spectrum of color from a rainbow, so not really.  If you had eyes that could see into the near infrared, you would see colors a little beyond the visible spectrum.  There is medical evidence that there are people with a fourth type of cone in their eyes who can actually do this.  Imagine how it would look if you were a mantis shrimp, though!  Some species have 17 different types of cones (color-sensitive structures in your retina) in their eyes...humans typically only have three.  So they would perceive the colors differently, but the light wouldn't really be any different.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson