Physics/sound and pitch

Question
Hi!
As a musician I am well aware of how important it is that a guitar is tuned t the right pitch. A guitar definitely has pitch.
Drums on the other hand don't seem to have pitch as you never have that problem of pitch when playing them. But according to science all sound has a pitch. Doesn't drums have pitch to? Is there a difference between the sound of a vibrating string and the vibration from a snare drum when it comes to pitch? What does science say?

Answer
Waves are complex, and drums have so many different pitches that they form what is almost a shock front.  This discussion will lead to Fourier analysis if I go too deep into it...but basically the difference is that with a guitar you have a sustained set of a few frequencies, and with a drum you have short burst of a massive number of frequencies.  For a pretty good visual, look on the third page of this: https://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~richards/webpage_rev_Jan06/Ch3_FourTrans%26DeltaFns.pdf forming a step function.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson